Raleigh Review is a nonprofit magazine of poetry, short fiction, and art that offers accessible works of experience that are both emotionally and intellectually complex. At Raleigh Review we believe that great literature inspires empathy by allowing us to see the world through the eyes of our neighbors, whether across the street or across the globe. Our mission is to foster the creation and availability of accessible yet provocative contemporary literature through our biannual magazine as well as through workshops, readings, and other community events.
Submissions are open January-March for the Fall issue (closed April-May-June)
and July-October for the Spring issue (closed November-December).
- January - March we are open to Short Fiction, Flash Fiction & Poetry
- July - October we are open to Poetry
- October 1 - October 31 we are open to Short Fiction
- December 10 - December 25 fee free waiver applications based on financial hardship are considered.
Submissions for our Laux/Millar RR Poetry Prize will be open January 1 - June 1.
Submissions for our Flash Fiction Prize will be open July 1 - October 31.
Submissions for our Multi-Genre Geri Digiorno Prize will be open July 1 - October 31.
Thanks for your interest in Raleigh Review. We look forward to reading your work.
$5 Entry Fee
- 1000 word limit per work of flash fiction.
- Up to 2 works of flash per contest submission.
- Combine both works in one file.
- Send four to five poems.
- If you think your poems will make a perfect stranger's toes tingle, heart leap, or brain sizzle, then send it our way. We typically do not publish avant garde or language poetry and have a general aversion to unnecessarily exclusive work. We do like a poem that causes--for a wide audience--a visceral reaction to intellectually and emotionally rich material.
- If accepted, we will also request an audio recording, which is optional but highly encouraged.
GERI DIGIORNO PRIZE GUIDELINES:
NOTE ON SUBMITTING MULTI-GENRE
JUDGES of the FINALISTS: Dorianne Laux & Joseph Millar
The contents of each submission can be either:
- 2 poems and a work of visual art (Possible Cover Inclusion)
- 2 poems and a work of flash nonfiction (1000 word max on the flash nonfiction)
- 1 poem and 1 work of visual art and 1 work of flash nonfiction.
-Visual Artists should be prepared with a high-resolution version of their files upon their work's acceptance to the magazine (large dimension PNG set at 300 dpi).
OPEN: July 1st - October 31st
CONTEST ENTRY FEE: $5
GRAND PRIZE: $300